THE FOLLOWING CHANGES WILL APPLY THIS QUARTER, BUT WILL NOT NEGATIVELY IMPACT STUDENT GRADES.
In Quarter 3, this change will apply to all students equally.
Grade updates for quarter 2 are complete.
What is Changing?
Grades will be shifted further toward assignments designed to allow students to show mastery (tests, quizzes, labs, projects, and certain classwork), and away from assignments that are mainly for practice (homework and articles, for example).
Why is This Changing?
In order to allow grades to more accurately reflect what students are able to show what they know and how much they have mastered, the focus for a student’s grade will be on such assignments and assessments. This will also bring my gradebook more in line with the other 8-4 core teachers’.
What is NOT Changing?
- Students will still have a similar workload.
- Students will still be expected to complete assignments, and they will still be checked as they have been in the past.
- Regular parent contact about missing work will still be made.
When Will This Affect the Grade Book?
Currently, the gradebook is in a hybrid state between the old and new grading schemes. The new policy is in place right now, but the change will not negatively impact student grades. Starting in Quarter 3, all students will be affected by the new grading scheme equally.
How Will This Affect the Grade Book?
- Assignments that show student mastery (tests, quizzes, projects, labs, and certain classwork) will affect student grades.
- In Quarter 2, all assignments will be counted toward student grades, unless they have not been turned in yet.
- Assignments not turned in will be marked as “missing” and need to still be turned in.
- In Quarter 3, assignments that are mainly for practice (articles, some homework) will not affect student grades BUT STILL WILL SHOW UP IN THE GRADE BOOK AS COLLECTED (GREEN CHECK MARK) OR MISSING.
- This is so students and parents can keep track of the completion of all assignments, since all assignments are designed to increase student mastery. These assignments will NOT have a number grade attached to them, so you will see a zero under the points column. Please do not confuse this with the score column, which will be blank – thus, not affecting student grades.
- In Quarter 2, student grades will not be negatively affected by the shift in grade focus.
- In Quarter 3, assignments for practice will not affect student grades.
- Missing assignments will still earn parent contact, as completion of these assignments will improve student assessment grades.